Here at KMG we are celebrating a very successful Engineering Graduate Training Program. We have been running the scheme for nearly 6 years and we have been delighted with the calibre of engineers that the program has produced. At KMG we pride ourselves on having the best engineers in the industry and we find that the engineers who have completed our program are absolutely first rate.
The KMG Multi-Disciplinary Engineering Graduate Training Program is designed to give graduate engineers exposure and experience across different engineering departments. This gives graduates a richer training and leads to more experienced engineers who can work across departments. Graduates will work on live projects, which are designed and manufactured on our site in Gamlingay. These projects could be anything from a single vibratory conveyor, an OMS seasoning system or even a full turnkey solution. Graduates also get the opportunity to work on product trials for New Product Development – often a chance for some tasty sampling! This provides the opportunity for experience in design and manufacture of our products, with opportunities to be involved in the full life cycle of the product. Our graduates are fully embedded into each team they work with and involved in the day-to-day activities of each department, learning transferable skills.
Engineering Graduate Training Program Structure
Graduates who are on the Engineering Graduate Training Program usually follow this route through the business.
- Design Office (9 months)
- Typically includes CAD (Solidworks), design, creating manufacturing drawings, communication with shop floor
- Includes a few days in the factory with laser cutting/pressing/welding
- Allows for developing general business awareness
- Electrical Engineering (6 months)
- Producing electrical datapacks, including electrical schematic, P&ID, I/O lists, panel layouts, network diagrams and panel specifications
- Producing drawings for manufacture of small control enclosures, external controls
- Electrical assembly and control panel testing
- Automation (6 months)
- Automation Control System development and testing
- Use of Allen Bradley and Siemens software and SCADA
- Panel Testing and internal commissioning
- Factory (3 weeks)
- cutting, flat bed laser/tube laser, machining, pressing
- MIG, TIG and laser welding
- Assembling and fitting
- Project department (6 months)
- Management of your own live customer projects – this could be for single vibratory conveyors or small systems
- Communication with customers, suppliers and across departments
- Potential site visits for survey, installation and commissioning
- Sales (6 months)
- Quotation preparation, including cost estimation and proposal writing
- Technical support for customer enquiries
- Customer visits and site surveys
Support and Training on the Engineering Graduate Training Program
All graduates on the engineering graduate training program will be assigned a mentor and a training plan throughout to support your development, with all actions and targets tracked in our in-house Graduate Manager App. Regular reviews ensure that you will continue to progress well and as you complete each part of the program you’ll collate a portfolio of evidence to indicate your achievements. This evidence may be suitable for future use in obtaining Chartered Engineer status. At the end of the programme, you’ll be ready to be launched into a career at KMG.
Social Activities while on Engineering Graduate Training Program
As a graduate on the engineering graduate training program at KMG there are plenty of activities to join in with outside of work, including regular company funded work socials, weekly badminton, and graduate organised socials. Some previously organised events have included golf, laser tag, pottery painting, bowling and weekly gaming night. As part of the KMG 50th anniversary celebrations there have been monthly competitions including paper aeroplane throwing, bake off and welly wanging to name a few. The active social life at KMG means you will quickly become embedded as part of the team here. One of our 2022 graduates commented:
“The socials here at KMG have been a fun and relaxed way to network and meet new people, which has been especially welcome having recently moved to the area.”